Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Love Idaho Winters

Well I have to say that I have only been in Idaho seven months and have already had all kind of winter mishaps. The first one happened six days before christmas. I dropped my daughter Sydney off at preschool and ran to Idaho Falls to do some last minute shopping. I had thirty minutes to go through toys'r'us and get what I needed. I finished shopping and quickly went to the car to strap Mackenzie in her chair. I went to make sure that I had my phone and it was gone. I ran into toys'r'us to look for it and find out if anyone had turned it in. I was unsucessful. Needless to say I had wasted 8 minutes. So I was in a hurry to get home. I decided that I was going to take the back roads to Shelley because they would get me there sooner. Funny thing. I didn't know the back roads. I knew that if I went south and east following the mountain, I would get there. So I am going down this country road about 55 mph and there was snow on the roads but not too bad. Ahead of me I see a big pile of snow. I thought that it had fallen off the back of a truck. As I an right up on it, it was a more solid looking pile of snow. Then I proceed to drive over it and there are lots of loud bumps. I realized then, that wasn't a pile of snow, that was a large rock. I go a little farther on the road and suddenly the rpm's rev. and then I let off on the gas and try to push on the gas again with out reving the rpm's. But this time the car wouldn't accelerate. and then it slowely coasted to a stop. I pulled over on the side of the road and my car was dead. Great and no cell phone. I was supposed to pick up my daughter 5 minutes ago. So I quickly got Mackenzie out and we walked to a house to use the phone. A little old lady lived there and was happy to help.

We ended up having our van towed to the shop and there it sat begging for someone to look at it. finally two days later they found out that I had cracked my transmition casing and the van needed a new transmition. It would be shipped from Oregon. Bla, bla, bla because of the holidays, and no one was working, our van wass in the shop for three weeks. Ugh. Luckily we have these amazing nieghbors that own two vans and a truck and they loaned us their van the whole time. They are so generous.

2 comments:

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

Hi Amy,
I am so over the winter. I am ready for spring. I love all the pictures of your family. They are beautiful, and getting so big. I hope everything is going well for you. Keep in touch.
Love,
Megan

Jennifer said...

Amy!! Don't you just love winter. Itwas fun to read your post. I am going to check back often to see what you have written!!